March 8, 2017
“Lent is a favorable season for opening the doors to all those in need and recognizing in them the face of Christ.” Pope Francis, Message for Lent 2017
We as Catholics are called to focus more on almsgiving during Lent so that we can grow in love by being charitable to our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.
Sirach 35:4 tells us that “one who gives alms presents a sacrifice of praise”.
Giving alms not only fills the Lord with joy, but it fills our own hearts with joy as well. We are told to give our time, talent and treasure to the church and to others and this Lent is the perfect time to get started!
Below is a list of 40 acts of love we can do for others and for God. The Lord calls us to love our neighbor as ourselves, and this list is a perfect opportunity to get started and take action!
Challenge yourself to do as many as you can during this Lenten season and prepare for Christ to transform your heart. Some of these may push you out of your comfort zone, but that’s the point! God is waiting for us outside of our comfort zones, ready to walk with us as we serve His people.
- Buy coffee for the person behind you in line
- Bring a friend or loved one to Adoration
- Spend 1 hour away from all technology
- Introduce yourself to an unfamiliar face at church
- Make a list of 5 people God has blessed you with in your life
- Spend some extra time playing with your kids or pets
- Donate money or food to the homeless
- Smile and say hello to a stranger on the street
- Give unique compliments to 5 people
- Spend time in prayer with God before you get ready in the morning
- Tell a loved one how much they mean to you
- Cook dinner for someone
- Spend time in nature and thank God for his beautiful creations
- Ask a cashier how their day has been
- Do a chore that isn’t yours
- Bring doughnuts to your fellow employees at work
- Donate blood
- Help your neighbor with a simple task
- Leave a thoughtful note for someone
- Volunteer at a shelter or a nursing home
- Send a care package to military overseas
- Spend time with Jesus in Adoration
- Call a family member you haven’t spoken to in a while
- Go to Confession
- Donate to a new charity
- Buy someone a gift from a company that donates its proceeds
- Sign up for a weekend service project
- Set time aside to meditate and listen to God
- Go to Daily Mass
- Give up social media for a day
- Buy a spiritual book and read it before bed
- Attend Stations of the Cross
- Dedicate your prayer time to someone in need
- Send a “Thinking of You” card to a distant relative or friend
- Create a care package and give it to a homeless person
- Research a saint you don’t know and pray for their intercession
- Dedicate your workout to God because He gave you an able body
- Let someone help you
- Make a new friend by inviting a person you don’t know very well to coffee or lunch
- Tell Jesus that you love Him
We hope that you accept the challenge and make this Lent a time of deepening in love for God and neighbor!