The Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee, founded in 1975, covers the 18 most northwestern counties of the State of Florida. Although our diocese is young, its roots go back to the first settlement of this region by Europeans, when in 1559 Don Tristan de Luna, on behalf of the Spanish crown, established the first settlement in what was to become the United States of America. The settlement was abandoned in 1561 due to hurricanes that destroyed the settlers supplies.
Our diocese enjoys the distinction of being a "dual see" diocese -- that is, it has two centers from which the Bishop governs: Pensacola and Tallahassee. Each see city has a cathedral - the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Pensacola and the Co-Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Tallahassee.
Because the Diocese is a dual-city See, the coat of arms has been divided in half, each half to honor one of the See cities. The upper portion of the diocesan arms honors the city of Pensacola. These arms are composed of a red field on which is placed a gold cross, of The Faith. In the center of the cross is a white plate on which is a representation of the Sacred Heart, to honor the titular of the Cathedral. In the upper left, known as the chief dexter, is a white airplane propeller to denote that Pensacola is principally known for the largest U.S. naval aviation training school in the world.
The lower portion of the diocesan coat of arms contains symbolism of the city of Tallahassee. These arms are composed of a white field on which is displayed a red saltair which is taken from the flag of the State of Florida, of which Tallahassee is the capital. In the compartments formed by the saltair are three black Morecocks (symbol of the More family) to honor the titular of the Co-Cathedral, St. Thomas More; the black log cabin signifies that the Indian word “Tallahassee” means “old town” or “old fields.”
A bishop’s miter appears at the top of the coat of arms to signify that this is the coat of arms of a diocese.
Our diocese spans miles of pristine white beaches along the Gulf of Mexico and rich farmlands and forests of pine and oak farther north.
|0||Bishop||14||Priests Resident in Diocese|
|1||Retired Bishops||15||Extern Priest Resident or Working in Diocese|
|52||Priests: Diocesan Active||4||Military|
|6||Priests: Diocesan Active Outside of Diocese||64||Permanent Deacons|
|1||Priests: Diocesan in Foreign Missions||24||Religious Sisters|
|15||Priests: Diocesan Retired, Sick or Absent||5||Brothers|
|82||Total Priests in Diocese||16||Seminarians|
|67,316 Total Catholic Population||Religious Education Program|
|1,463,116 Total Population||845||High School Students|
|18 Counties in Diocese||3,758||Elementary Students|
We welcome you to come and enjoy
the magnificent glory of our Creator with us in